Liam's Choice Artists quotes

Liam's Choice Artists quotes

Friday, March 23, 2012

Pantone Color Trends 2012 Paintings

I love colour. Yes, I spelled color "colour" because I'm Canadian. It's what they taught me in school right along with "pay your crazy taxes, tell on bullies, and drink light beer". It's not my fault.
So back to what I was saying.
What the entire design world uses for colour is a system of colour predictions that are worked out many years ahead of time, so that every industry can safely develop products that will go together with what everyone else is doing. The housepaint companies will match what the couch cushion makers do, and so on. Pantone is at the forefront of the colour industry, tying all of the industrial world together in colour. This is fascinating to me.

The colours for 2012 are beautiful. Some brilliant and talented people have spent untold hours developing these colours, their relationships and how they'll work and shift over time, so they're not like a Ke$ha song. Please, someone make her go away. I've decided to not only embrace these colours, but make an example of them.
The idea is simple bold designs using the defining colours of 2012. Colours like Tangerine Tango, Stardust, Driftwood, French Roast, and Olympian Blue. These are quick paintings I've designed using the quaint Windows painting app. Like this:



And then gone and painted it for real, like this:




They're a hoot. And there's a bunch of them on. This is the first, now available in my eBay store.

No comments: